RE: Xargs positioning the arguments in a command -- is this a bug or a feature?

> [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com] On Behalf Of Eric Blake
> > It is an unusual command that requires switches to appear in a
> > specific order, especially when the switches are not directly
> > dependent on each other.
>
> The upcoming findutils-4.2.25-1 (whenever upstream releases
> 4.2.25) better documents this.  -i is being deprecated in
> favor of POSIX -I, which requires an argument, whereas the
> non-standard -i treated its argument as optional.  So what
> may be happening (although you'd actually have to debug to
> see for sure) is that -i -n treats -n as the string to
> replace, instead of the default {}.  But that sounds odd, and
> it may be an upstream bug; I'll investigate further.
>
> --
> Eric Blake

Thanks, Eric.  That is very cool of you to check.

FYI:  I had trouble with -I, and with --string,
and even trying to specify the replacement string
using -i, although I didn't exercise those other
options as carefully as the "-i" and default {}.

--
Herb Martin