Re-entrant versions of functions

Hi all,

I'm trying to build some example code from 'Programming with POSIX Threads' by David Butenhof, and have run into an error because one of the programs calls readdir_r. From googling and searching the mailing lists, it looks like there has been some work done on the re-entrant versions of the standard functions, but nothing seems to be built in the shipping binary code.

I downloaded the cygwin source and there is definition for readdir_r in newlib/libc/posix however there is no corresponding declaration in any header file.

My question is, is there a reason that the re-entrant versions of the functions like readdir_r are not built?

This isn't a critical issue for me - I just want to play with this stuff on my laptop on the train without needing to dual-boot into linux (so I'm just being lazy!). However I'm still curious, so if anyone has an answer I'd be greatful.

Many thanks

DL