entry point _getreent in cygwin1.dll w/gcc compiler

Okay - I'm sure some of you have already seen this - I've googled the
problem, searched on yahoo, looked through the FAQ, and through the
mailing list. I can't seem to solve this problem.

For example - I am trying to compile, let's say, a helloworld.c file.

gcc helloworld.c

type that in and I get a pop up that states, "The procedure entry
point _getreent could not be located in the dynamic link library
cygwin1.dll."

I've tried re-installing numerous times. Many of the solutions I found
said that the .dll file I had was old. I've updated cygwin. I've
installed just the base/default. Then went into the developers
packages and installed just the gcc C (3.4.4-1 gcc compiler) stuff
that I needed. I still get the same error. I'm running cygwin on a
windows XP computer. The last time I re-installed I deleted all files
having to do w/Cygwin even the registry stuff. Downloaded a new
setup.exe etc. I even took a cygwin1.dll from a friend b/c he may have
had an older one. Nope - doesn't cut it.

I have Eclipse installed as well as VB basic - I don't think those
would affect it but you never know.

Everything I find says to re-install or update. I don't know what else
to do. Any help is welcomed.

Thank you,

Julie