Re: emacs issues

Brian Dessent wrote:
I would suggest rxvt. Personally, I use the "CMD.EXE prompt" as little
as possible (i.e., not at all)

I like your turn of phrase!

with Cygwin because frankly, it sucks
hard.  I suspect that I am not alone.

No you are not, but I would like to quibble with your teminology.

The "Windows terminal" thingy that cmd.exe normally runs in is more accurately termed a "console window". It is not tied to cmd.exe. You can run bash in a console window if you want (eg type "bash" at the "Run..." prompt) and you can run cmd.exe in an rxvt window. But I do these things as little as possible...

So I agree with your advice: if you want to run Cygwin applications like emacs in "no window" mode, use an rxvt terminal instead of a console window.

-- Mark Hadfield "Kei puwaha te tai nei, Hoea tahi tatou" m.hadfield@niwa.co.nz National Institute for Water and Atmospheric Research (NIWA)