man can't display man pages.

Folks,
	You may recall my misadventures with downloading groff over the
past few days. Our SA is working on getting the web-filter to let the
latest version through.

In the meantime I have downloaded and installed groff-1.17.2-1 which is
the previous version.

Now for the punchline. When I try to use man all I get is the "END" tag.

Note that the file is being found (I don't get the message "No manual
entry for foobar") and the files are there (for example
/usr/share/man/man1/rlogin.1).

Is this an issue with groff-1.17.2-1?

Thanks,
KW