Re: Problems with OpenSSH/Cygwin connectivity to Windows NT/2000 machines.

At 08:06 PM 6/3/2005, you wrote:
>On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Tevfik Karagülle wrote:
>
>>  Hi,
>>
>> Are there essential differences between cygwin versions 1.5.14 and 1.5.17
>> regarding openssh authentication ?
>>
>> I have two test environments:
>>
>> 1) Cygwin 1.5.14, openssh 4.1p-1, openssl 0.9.7g
>> 2) Cygwin 1.5.17, openssh 4.1p-1, openssl 0.9.7g
>>
>> While everything (nt/2000/xp/2003) work as expected in environment 1, we
>> get 'access denied' messages when we try to connect to nt/2000 machines
>> in environment 2.  Xp and 2003 work just fine.
>>
>> Any clues ?
>
>Since you mention authentication, I assume you're asking about sshd.  I
>also assume you've eliminated the client from the equation by using the
>same host to ssh into the machines in question.
>
>In what situation do you get "access denied"?  Do you use public key
>authentication?  Are your permissions identical on sshd support/config
>files?  Are /etc/passwd and /etc/group files up-to-date on both machines?
>Did you try running sshd with debugging flags?  Do you get any messages in
>the log files or in the Windows Event Log?  What does "ssh -vvv" (yes, on
>the client) report when connecting to both working and non-working
>machines?
>
>If worse comes to worst, and the above doesn't provide any clues, there's
>always strace (the output of which from both machines can be compared
>easily enough).

And just in case there's any confusion, I'm running exactly the versions
listed on my W2K machine and I use them to access the machine remotely
everyday (via public key authentication).  I've been doing this for
years now and it has never been a problem to do so.

Holliston, MA 01746