Re: Command to move groups of files

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
On Fri, 20 May 2005, Jonathan Arnold wrote:

Somone a month or so ago posted a list of little known Cygwin
commands, and in that list was a cool command that allowed you
to rename a list of files, like thus:

cmd First*.* Second*.*

which would rename all files starting with "First" to be "Second".
I used this command a bit, and then promptly forgot about it until
I really needed to use it yesterday.

Could someone remind me of the name of that command?

You must be thinking of "rename" from the new cygutils.  FWIW, a Google
search for "zzapper commands cygwin rename" brought it up as the first
hit (I just happened to remember exactly *who* posted that list). :-)

I'm not sure that's the exact post, but it's ironic that cgf's reply to it says that the challenge will be to remember the command exists! Well, I remembered it existed, just not what it was.

But I did try "man -k files", and I now notice that rename doesn't show up
in the list. Is there something I'm supposed to run to update the -k
database?

--
Jonathan Arnold     (mailto:jdarnold@buddydog.org)
Amazing Developments       http://www.buddydog.org

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be
lived forwards. -- Soren Kierkegaard