Re: bug in du

Eric Blake <ebb9@byu.net> writes:

> One possible fix is revisiting line 377 in src/du.c in CVS, which
> currently skips hard links only if a file has multiple links.

Sorry, I don't quite follow this.  Don't all the directories in
question have multiple links?  Or, if you're talking about walking
through the directory multiple times and discarding each file you
find, that sounds pretty slow.

> The other fix would be to also check directories for identical
> inodes, and not descending through a directory by a second spelling
> if it has already been visited once.

That makes more sense to me, anyway: directories should be treated
like other files.