Re: New call: Please test latest snapshot

On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 09:12:20AM +0800, Carlo Florendo wrote:
>Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>We would like to release 1.5.17 soon.
>>
>>Please try the latest snapshot, 2005-May-17, from
>>http://cygwin.com/snapshots/
>>
>>This snapshot should solve two problems with cygcheck and strace.  The
>>previous snapshots would not print anything on 9x and might end up
>>reporting
>>a broken installation on NT systems.
>>
>>This snapshot also introduces interruptible access to the domain/workgroup
>>and share listings.  You should now be able to interrupt for instance
>
>Does not work for me.  Doing a
>
>   $ ls //
>
>still takes too long.

There may be no way around this.  There doesn't appear to be any way to
circumvent the long pause required for Windows to figure out network
stuff.  Corinna moved all of the network drive manipulation into a
separate thread which is terminated on a CTRL-C but Windows still
insists on waiting several seconds before the thread actually goes away.

I just rewrote things slightly to see if not terminating the thread helped
anything but it doesn't.  The program takes several seconds to *exit*
in that case.

In short, this seems like something we'll have to live with.  On my
system at least, Corinna's change made things a couple of seconds faster
than before so it shouldn't be as slow as the previous snapshot.

cgf