reverted (to some degree) cygwin exit value presented to non-cygwin processes

I've added a change to cygwin which causes exit values to be right
shifted by eight bits when a process knows that it has been started from
a windows process.

This means that if a process exits with a status code of "1", windows
will see an exit code of "1" rather than "256".

FWIW, I'm making this change despite the rude personal email I received
about the current exit code behavior although it was, as always,
tempting to leave this as-is in face of the querulous complaints,
demands, and threats.

cgf