LESSCHARSET, manpage formatting: utf-8 problem?

I thought I had already set this, but apparently had not or
set it in some session.  notice that "man bash",
creates a different output based on the value of LESSCHARSET.

I wanted to use utf-8, but when I set that, I get characters
that don't display properly.  Worse, if I set my code page
in the window to the utf-8 code page, (chcp.com 65001),
and type man to display it, the display actually seems to
pause (sorta hang)....I say sorta, but I can press keys and
go to the next page, but the output is missing many lines.
I can control-C out of it.

It _may_ be only happening if one has catman variables
setup, as that is where I ran into it -- a manpage that had
been formatted with LESSCHAR=utf-8 (apparently), that
wouldn't display properly.

I'm not sure when I last displayed that page if I had something
else set in my environment that caused it to display correctly,
but I'd like my console to display UTF-8 properly as my
server uses utf-8 to display files.  Explorer seems to correctly
view UTF-8 named files on my server, so I'd assume I need
to set my command window to the same settings for proper
display.

But I'm not coming up with anything that is working.  Is
this a bug in ...in what?  The command shell that's running
bash?  Note that I get the same garbage characters in
rxvt, but changing the codepage doesn't affect the output
there.

The characters look like this in rxvt:
OPTIONS

In addition to the singleÃâÂcharacter shell options  documented  in  the
                        ^^
description  of the set builtin command, bash interprets the following
options when it is invoked:
ÃËâc string If the ÃËâc option is present, then  commands  are  read  from

--- Does utf-8 support work in cygwin? or in a bash.exe shell?