Re: Problem uninstalling/deleting cygwin

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, Joshua Daniel Franklin wrote:

> Larry Hall wrote:
> > At 02:10 PM 1/26/2005, you wrote:
> > >I will be adding
> > >doc to the webpage talking about the perils of downgrading, but in truth
> > >this subject should be noted in the normal FAQ concerning reverting to
> > >the previous version as well.
> >
> > The Cygwin FAQ doesn't seem to be the right place for the Cygwin
> > version of this information though.  Maybe the UG is?  Joshua, what's your
> > thoughts on this?
>
> I agree with Peter that the this is a common problem on any OS, but I
> try not to put any generic good ideas in the FAQ, only ones specific to
> Cygwin. Sort-of the same thing with the User's Guide, the reader is
> expected to have a certain level of computer knowledge and common
> sense.

Hmm... As someone who writes doc for a product I produce (and have had to
revise many times as customers often make assumptions which are usually
quite wrong), I'm torn on this issue.  Yes, we would expect a certain
level of competency and common sense, but for first or second time users
that may not be the case.  Even for seasoned veterans, diddling with a
previously unknown/unused package can lead to surprise.

Consider that most package management systems do not give the option to
install a previous version of a product.  I think this is somewhat unique
to Cygwin's Setup.  Additionally, we'd like to assume that removing a
package would clean everything related to it and new installations would
properly update anything it needs to.  In practice, this is often not
true and is really quite specific on a product/package basis.  Witness
Windows' own program manager which, even when a product has been removed.
often leaves bits of itself in directories (and espectially in the
Registry).  Subsequent installations/upgrades can either take advantage
of these droppings or (more often) cause problems because the environment
isn't clean.

I guess, part of the professionalism of a product, is to provide as much
meaningful information as possible, but also to account for the "cock-pit
errors" that commonly occur and give warnings concerning them.  It's
often a helpful reminder for the newbie as well as the seasoned user that
"shift happens".

--
Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com>