Re: problems with overloading of the semantics of version number in cygwin/unison

> Max Bowsher wrote:
>
> > Richard Lethin wrote:

> >> Sure, it's a bad design choice in unison, but cygwin is using the
> >> version number in Unison - which means something about the protocol
> >> version in unison - to mean something about the software release - which
> >> operationally is not what unison really means.  The result is that
> >> cygwin unison is broken.
> >

> > Unison itself uses the same version number for protocol of software
> > release.
> > That is a problem if you cannot obtain unison binaries for all machines
> > you wish to synchronize between from a single source.
> > Nothing in this problem is in any way cygwin specific.
>
> Where does the version number 2.9.20-1 come from?

Internally, Unison's version number is 2.9.20.  In the Cygwin
distribution, that package is numbered 2.9.20-1 because it's the first
release of Unison 2.9.20 in Cygwin.  If I were to apply some bug fixes
or other changes and release a new version of 2.9.20, it would show up
in the Cygwin mirrors as 2.9.20-2.  But Unison would still tell you that
you were using version 2.9.20.

HTH,
A.