RE: sshd under Cygwin

At 07:44 AM 1/2/2005, you wrote:
>Hello,
>   After using the following references:
>
>http://ist.uwaterloo.ca/~kscully/SSH/CygwinSSHD_W2K3.html
>http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2001-11/msg00844.html
>/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/openssh.README
>/usr/bin/ssh-host-config
>/usr/bin/ssh-user-config
>
>& plenty of T&E (trial & error),
>I was able to get RSA SSH2 keys to work properly.  In conclusion,
>change the _user to <User Login ID> instead of 'system' in both of the above
>scripts.
>I installed the sshd service manually but that was mainly due to
>the debug/analysis nature of the work.  Shouldn't be necessary if the
>_user variable is changed in both scripts.
>
>Anyhow, this does bring up another question:
>   How would one get RSA SSH2 keys to work with multiple user logins
>since the cygrunsrv/sshd process can only run as 1 user?  It would
>appear the answer is "Not possible" based on my T&E results.

If you want to be able to use multiple user's with sshd, then you must start
the service as 'SYSTEM' (or 'sshd_server' for W2K3).  There's no need to
edit any scripts as you suggest above to get this working.  My WAG is that
you started 'sshd' from the command line once as the user you were logged
in as.  This will create files like '/var/log/sshd.log' with permissions
for your user as the owner, which won't work if you then try to start the
'sshd' as 'SYSTEM'.

Holliston, MA 01746