Re: Building LLVM and the GCC front-end under Cygwin

On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 06:13:00PM +0200, Alex Vinokur wrote:
>"Christopher Faylor" <cgf-no-personal-reply-please@cygwin.com> wrote in message 20041228155838.GL31195@trixie.casa.cgf.cx">news:20041228155838.GL31195@trixie.casa.cgf.cx...
>> On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 05:30:23PM +0200, Alex Vinokur wrote:
>> >I would like to build LLVM and the GCC front-end under Cygwin.
>> >
>> ><QUOTE from http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/docs/CFEBuildInstrs.html#cygwin>
>> >Some versions of Cygwin utilize an experimental version of GNU binutils that will cause the GNU ld linker to fail an assertion
>when
>> >linking components of the libstdc++. It is recommended that you replace the entire binutils package with version 2.15 such that
>> >"ld --version" responds with
>> >
>> >GNU ld version 2.15
>> >not with:
>> >
>> >GNU ld version 2.15.91 20040725
>> ></QUOTE>
>> >
>> >Here is ld version
>> >$ ld --version
>> >GNU ld version 2.15.91 20040725
>> >[---omitted---]
>> >
>> >How to get ld version 2.15 instead version 2.15.91 20040725?
>>
>>Why are you asking this list when another source told you to do
>>something?
>
>Another source told me what to do.  Here I am asking how to do.

You're asking how to get ld version 2.15.  Cygwin doesn't come with this
version.  Ergo, you can't just download a binary from the cygwin release.

If you're asking where to get this version of binutils, then look at the
binutils web page.  Just typing "binutils" into google should give you a
clue as to where binutils might be found.  Hopefully it is obvious that
binutils isn't a cygwin-specific package.

If you're asking how to *build* binutils, then there is also plenty of
information available on the web for that, also.

It still seems odd that another web site would imply that you needed
another version of binutils other than the one that is provided by the
cygwin release and your inclination was to ask the people who provided
the standard cygwin release where you could find a non-standard cygwin
release.