Re: fetchmail & procmail / mail lost?

Walter Garcia-Fontes wrote:

Dear Gerrit:

One possibility:

The mail is still at your POP3 mailserver, but it was marked as
read and therefore fetchmail does not see it any more. You can start
fetchmail and use the swith to fetch everything, including read mail
(look at the man page, I dont' remember exactly).

Try to stop the fetchmail service and start it manually with "-v" to
see what fetchmail is doing. As far as I know it doesn't flush
anything if it got an error signal from any of the programs it calls,
for instance procmail.

I hope this helps to find your missing email,

Many thanks for the quick reply.

I see this in the log:
fetchmail: awakened at Wed Nov 24 11:58:11 2004
2 messages for gerrit%familiehaase.de at mail3.xxx.de (5958 octets).
reading message gerrit%familiehaase.de@mail3.xxx.de:1 of 2 (1175 octets) .procmail: Suspicious rcfile "/home/gerrit/.procmailrc"
procmail: Couldn't read "/home/gerrit/.procmailrc"
flushed
reading message gerrit%familiehaase.de@mail3.xxx.de:2 of 2 (4783 octets) ....procmail: Suspicious rcfile "/home/gerrit/.procmailrc"
procmail: Couldn't read "/home/gerrit/.procmailrc"
flushed
fetchmail: sleeping at Wed Nov 24 11:58:19 2004

So the question is, what comes back from prcmail if there is an error? It seems fetchmail thinks
all is well, and flushes which means the mail at the server is deleted. If an error occured, the
expected behaviour is also that it retries instead of doing anything, marking as 'read' or delete the
mail, it shouldn't do anything if there was a problem delivering. In the fetchmail FAQ is stated
that it finishes the job when it gets a positive return code, so back to the new question, what is
procmail returning when it fails with 'Suspicious rcfile'? What is procmail doing with mail handed
over which cannot be processed?

Gerrit

--
=^..^=