Re: What to do when setup fails?

Luke Kendall schrieb:
On 11 Nov, luke wrote:
By the time it had crashed with the above panel, Task Manager was showing setup of using only 10MB of memory. Yet as soon as I clicked on OK for the runtime error, the pages were very quickly handed back to the system and it returned to about 100MB of memory in use (no page faults). So it sounds like setup.exe was the culprit. This is an old version of setup. I notice that my post-install stuff detected the problem of a failed install (symptom: missing /etc/profile file). The sanest thing to do will be to reboot, and try installing a much more recent Cygwin. If that fails, I'll scrub the installed files and reg keys, and try again.

Hmm, using a mirror that's a few days old shows similar behaviour.
This time though it's saying it's installing zip-2.3-6 - all the other
details seem the same.

I watched in task manager as setup's memory use climbed from 50MB to
127MB over a period of a few minutes.  When next I looked nothing had
visibly changed, except task manager reckoned setup was now using only
12MB (again climbing steadily upwards at about 5MB per minute), even as
the Performance task manager view showed system memory use had climbed
to 880MB (and still climbing).

Looks like it crawls your local-package-dir tree (aka "Select download directory") to look for all available setup.ini's and tar.bz2 packages.
You should really check your /var/log/setup.log.full what's going on and not only taskman, to see that's something going on.

You really should provide a meaningful local-package-dir otherwise it will crawl your entire root, which could last 30 mins if it's cygfile:///
But maybe there's an undetected recursive loop possibility somewhere. Have to investigate. (Note: the fromcwd() step)

Do you have junctions, directory hardlinks under your local-package-dir?

Sounds like the first attempted install, with the insufficient
permissions and the "Mount: command completed successfully" might have
left things in a somehow strange state.

I'll force a system disc check and reboot and try again.  Then scrub
Cygwin and try a fresh install if that's no better.

-- Reini Urban http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/