Re: Can I launch a graphical windows app from within a cygwin ssh session

Jason, thanks for the quick answer, unfortunately creates more questions.

"DePriest, Jason R." <jrdepriest@firsthorizon.com> on Tuesday, November
02, 2004 at 3:20 PM -0800 wrote:
>On Tuesday, November 02, 2004 4:12 PM, Mark Stuhr wrote
>[--cut some stuff--]
>> launch a windows app that should run on that remote (or host, can
>> never keep that syntax straight) box.  (In other words a server runs
>> an app most of the time, but not as a service.  That app needs
>> restarting for whatever reason and I'm on the road.  I can dial in
>> with my pocketpc and get an ssh session going to that server, at that
>> point I'd want to kill that app, easy, then I need to restart that
>> app so it will stay running on that server even after I disconnect my
>> ssh session.
>[--cut some stuff--]
>> How do I do that???
>
>I am not in a position to test it out right now.
>
>But what happens if you have the Cygwin SSH service on the remote system
>set to interact with the local desktop?  Cygrunsrv has a commandline
>switch --interactive to set this when you install the service, but you
>can also change it by looking at the service properties through the
>Windows services applet.

That checkbox is only available when you are running as local system.  In
order to get the service to start reliably I had to switch the service to
run as a particular user (chown wasn't working for some reason, couldn't
change ownership of files necessary to get ssh service working, so changed
service to run as owner of files (me.)  So, if you think that running as
local system with interact with desktop will work then I need to go back
to the drawing board and get that working.

Thanks

Mark Stuhr
Director of Inf. Tech.
Nolo