Cygwin not honoring setmode

This problem has been discussed before under the subject heading "Problem with gzip". In particular, the message
appears to state that a problem with "cygwin not honoring setmode" was fixed.

On Saturday, October 30, 2004, I downloaded and installed the current version of the Cygwin. It appears to me that this problem is back It is hard to work around this problem when using automake and autoconf, which assume piping into gzip works properly.

The following shell script demonstrates the problem in my copy of the October 30, 2004 version of Cygwin:
=========================
# Running the following program
#
echo "test" > Test.dat
tar -cf Test.tar Test.dat
cat Test.tar | gzip - -c > Test.tar.gz
rm Test.tar
gunzip Test.tar.gz
#
# produces the following output
#
# gunzip: Test.tar.gz: invalid compressed data--format violated