Re: Avail for test: libtool-devel-1.9f_20041024-1, libltdl6-1.9f_20041024-1

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

libpthread should be in the list of libraries where these tests are
skipped, like it is for libstdc++ or libgcc and others,

Nope. MAYBE it should be skipped, like -lc and -lm are skipped. But libstdc++ and libgcc are a different kettle of fish.

libtool specifically checks for -lc and -lm on the command line, and has special purpose code to ignore them when running on cygwin. This was done as a convenience, back before the cygwin project provided the import stubs libc.a and libm.a, since many Makefiles blindly add -lc or -lm to their link commands. Now, of course, we have libm.a and libc.a import stubs, so this convenience is no longer necessary. But it doesn't hurt anything, so it's still there.

(So you see, I don't really think it's a good idea to perpetuate the no-longer-necessary convenience by adding yet another special case library -lpthread.)

Now, stuff like libstdc++ is handled differently. Libtool detects which flags and libs are added to the command line by the compiler driver (gcc, g++, etc) when linking a shared library. Needless to say, libpthread.a is not one of this type.

if it is not
included, try the snapshot Charles provided which includes probably some
more cygwin related fixes than f-d = 2 versions before the current
snapshot, and if this fails too, then please come back.

(a) this problem originally arose because of an error in the user's configure.ac. However, once that was corrected, THIS part of libtool worked as expected (that is, correctly). I don't want to add yet another special case library to the -lc,-lm kludge; I'd rather *remove* the -lc,-lm special case since, with a properly configured system, it's not necessary.

Will address other issue in separate message.

--
Chuck