Re: .bashrc not called for non-interactive ssh sessions: SOLUTION

Hi there,

I solved similar problem by enabling line

PermitUserEnvironment yes

in /etc/sshd_config and copying my .bashrc as

~/.ssh/environment

In man pages of sshd it says:

"
6.   Reads the file $HOME/.ssh/environment, if it exists, and users
      are allowed to change their environment.  See the
      PermitUserEnvironment option in sshd_config(5).man sshd
"
-pekka-

Philip Nemec wrote:
I'm not totally sure what you're asking...  My shell in /etc/passwd is
/bin/bash.  Just in case I copied the /etc/defaults/profile to
/etc/profile and added a check if that even gets called.

/etc/profile *doesn't* get called with a non-interactive ssh which is
the correct behavior - only the users ~/.bashrc should be called.

I reinstalled the service just in case there was something strange
there (like being set to allow service to interact with desktop) - but
still no luck...

So if you put some echo command in your .bashrc and then run ssh
localhost pwd, you see it?

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 20:40:26 -0400, Larry Hall