RE: Problem installing PerlMagick 6.02

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
> Hello Bryan,
>
> Am Freitag, 8. Oktober 2004 um 19:23 schriebst du:
>
>> I am trying to install PerlMagick on my WinXP box with Cygwin, and
>> everything seems to install (after some tweaking of the build
>> process, described below) fine.  Except that none of the PerlMagick
>> tests pass and when I run the demo, I get this error:
>
>> PerlMagick-6.02/demo$ make
>> perl demo.pl
>> Read...
>> Exception 435: unable to open image `': No such file or directory at
>> demo.pl line 14. Exception 435: unable to open image `': No such
>> file or directory at demo.pl line 18. Exception 410: no images
>> defined `label' at demo.pl line 19.
>> make: *** [all] Error 10
>

>> Using the Cygwin ImageMagick package.  I've also built and installed
>> ImageMagick 6.08 myself and have no problems with it (display and
>> convert work fine, for example). ImageMagick is installed in
>> /usr/local. The errors produced from my own ImageMagick install are
>> slightly different:
>
>> PerlMagick-6.02/demo$ make
>> perl demo.pl
>> Read...
>> Exception 435: unable to open image `ck': No such file or directory
>> at demo.pl line 14. Exception 435: unable to open image `f': No such
>> file or directory at demo.pl line 18. Exception 410: no images
>> defined `label' at demo.pl line 19.
>> make: *** [all] Error 10
>
>> It looks like the image name is being truncated somehow ('ck' is the
>> last part of 'NULL:black' and 'f' is the last part of 'model.gif'),
>> but I don't know enough about DLLs and perl to guess why that might
>> be happening.
>
> There is a bug in cygwin-1.5.11, do you use 1.5.11?
> Then please try the latest snapshot and report back.
>
> And update ExtUtils::MakeMaker, the .dll.a bug was fixed a year ago,
> but it seems that MakeMaker in the stable release of perl was not
> updated.
>

> Gerrit

I grabbed the latest snapshot (2004-Oct-07) and rebuilt PerlMagick from
scratch and the problem still occurs, even after rebooting my computer (in
case it was still using the old DLL, which was 1.5.11).

`uname -a` gives:
CYGWIN_NT-5.1 thrallxpc 1.5.12s(0.116/4/2) 20041007 20:09:04 i686 unknown
unknown Cygwin

So it looks like I'm running the right DLL, but the problem remains (now I
don't even get the 'ck' or 'f', just like with the Cygwin package version of
ImageMagick).  I also tried 1.5.10, but the bug seems present there, as
well.

Thanks for pointing that out about MakeMaker, and thanks for your help!

--
Bryan Thrall
Realtime Software Engineer