Re: bash, filename completion and spaces in path components [was RE: SSH Environment]

Dave Korn wrote:

I use the same trick myself because a lot of apps can't handle a filename with a space in it, not even if it gets correctly escaped and passed through to argv, but I've never known bash filename completion to have a problem: it escapes all the spaces and other metachars beautifully. Sometimes I use it just to save me having to figure out what needs escaping and what doesn't. What problem do you see?

Forgive me! I misspoke! One place where it helps me is with Clearcase. Clearcase uses the M drive for views. On Unix it uses /view. So I map /cygdrive/m -> /view. Then it's the same in Unix and under Cygwin.

--
If there is a god, he will understand why I don't believe in him.