Re: cygserver won't start (FAQ alert)[SOLVED]

At 01:57 PM 9/29/2004, you wrote:
>Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>>>One thing, when I installed this cygwin I checked the "Install For Just Me"
>>>option. Could this have anything to do with it?
>>
>>Bingo.  As I was reading your message, I thought "he should check that he
>>has system mounts".  You've just confirmed that you don't.  Re-mount all
>>of your mounts as "system", and your services will work.
>>David, this is definitely an FAQ, but there is nothing in the FAQ about
>>services (other than the "how do I install snapshots" entry).  Should we
>>add something along the lines:
>>  Why don't my services work?
>>  Most Windows services run as the SYSTEM user.  If you installed Cygwin
>>  for "Just Me", the SYSTEM user won't see the mount table.  You need to
>>  re-mount all of your mounts as "system" for services to work.
>>We could even include the recipe for remounting as system (e.g., from
>><http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-05/msg00487.html>), or tell them to run
>>setup.exe again and select "All Users" on the "Install For" screen (and
>>use the "Keep" view, so that nothing gets upgraded accidentally).
>
>Thank you (all) ever so very much.
>
>I had no idea what it took to "re-mount all your mounts as system" but I did the {eval "`mount -m | sed -e 's/ -u / -s /g' -e 's/$/;/'`"} from the msg referenced above and it now works like a charm.
>
>(There are some occasional other users of this machine and I don't really want them to have access to something as powerful as cygwin so re-installing for all users was definitely not the preferred solution.)

Actually, system mounts are really *the* difference between installing
"Just for me" and "All Users".  So you have effectively reinstalled for
all users now. ;-)

>Hmmm. I wonder if this will help another installation where "Task Scheduler" jobs don't seem to have access to windows network drives. Worth a try.

True but you won't see a difference.  When you say "Task Scheduler", you
mean the Windows service/utility, right?  Just curious.  There's the same
issue with 'cron' and any service that runs under "SYSTEM".  It has no
access to shares that require authentication to access.  So you either
need to make your shares accessible to everyone or run the service under
your user name and only for your user.

Holliston, MA 01746