Re: "which" command does not expand "~" in path (base-files update needed)

At 05:43 AM 29/09/2004, Brian Ford wrote:
> export PATH=~/bin:$PATH

How 'bout using a temp, or just plain $HOME as suggested before?

Good question, I'd like to know what was wrong with my (first ever cygwin) patch! ;-)
Seriously though, is there any advantage to using ~ over $HOME? the bash man page states that ~ maps to $HOME anyway:
"If this login name is the null string, the tilde is replaced with the value of the shell parameter HOME. If HOME is unset, the home directory of the user executing the shell is substituted instead. Other-wise, the tilde-prefix is replaced with the home directory associated with the specified login name."

Errol