Re: "which" command does not expand "~" in path (base-files update needed)

On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 03:48:12PM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>> >IMHO, they are.  Windows programs often put directories containing spaces
>> >in the system path.  ex:
>> >
>> >/cygdrive/c/Program Files/ATI Technologies/ATI Control Panel
>>
>> Try the above with a PATH that contains spaces.  Spaces are preserved.
>
>They are in this case, but won't be in general.  E.g., try
>
>PATH=~/bin:$PATH which ls

This works fine no matter where I put the directory with spaces in it.

Regardless, I don't see any reason to turn this thread into an
exposition on what does or doesn't work with variables that contain
spaces.  Dropping the quotes from the original example will just cause
everything to work correctly everywhere.

John Morrison, would you mind doing this, please?

cgf