ssh-agent: Cygwin version problems

I've been using OpenSSH with Cygwin for a while now, very
successfully. Thanks to all who put this together.

I'd like to set up my machine for remote logins now, which makes me
much more security conscious:  using an old version of OpenSSH is not
really an option.

However, I can't find a way to get the latest OpenSSH to work without
messing up ssh-agent in the sense that it becomes strongly attached to
the bash window in which it was started.  With the versions I've got
now, I can start ssh-agent, and an ssh tunnel, and then close the
window, and those processes keep running.  This is very nice!

As soon as I upgrade Cygwin, or the base files, this stops working.
The bash window refuses to close; if I tell Windows to shut it down,
it kills ssh-agent and ssh as well.

If I only upgrade OpenSSH, it won't start, because it's been linked
against a newer version of cygwin1.dll, and can't find an entry point
it needs.

Here's how I start ssh-agent:

alias sshstart='ssh-agent >~/ssh-agent-pid; source ~/ssh-agent-pid;
ssh-add'

and here's ssh:

alias sshtunnel='ssh -N -f -L [my tunnel]  [my username]  >/dev/null
2>/dev/null </dev/null '

I've attached the /etc/setup/installed.db version database below
listing the setup that works.  Has anyone got ssh-agent working with a
current OpenSSH release?  Could you tell me the versions you have
installed?

Thanks in advance.

Duncan Murdoch

INSTALLED.DB 2
base-files base-files-1.1-1.tar.bz2 0
base-passwd base-passwd-1.1-1.tar.bz2 0
bash bash-2.05b-9.tar.bz2 0
bzip2 bzip2-1.0.2-2.tar.bz2 0
crypt crypt-1.0-1.tar.bz2 0
cvs cvs-1.11.0-1.tar.bz2 0
cygwin cygwin-1.3.22-1.tar.bz2 0
diff diff-1.0-1.tar.bz2 0
diffutils diffutils-2.8.1-1.tar.bz2 0
fileutils fileutils-4.1-1.tar.bz2 0
findutils findutils-4.1.7-4.tar.bz2 0
gawk gawk-3.1.2-2.tar.bz2 0
gdb gdb-20030919-1.tar.bz2 0
gdbm gdbm-1.8.0-5.tar.bz2 0
gettext gettext-0.11.5-1.tar.bz2 0
grep grep-2.5-1.tar.bz2 0
groff groff-1.18.1-2.tar.bz2 0
gzip gzip-1.3.3-4.tar.bz2 0
jpeg jpeg-6b-7.tar.bz2 0
less less-378-1.tar.bz2 0
lesstif lesstif-0.93.40-1.tar.bz2 0
libbz2_1 libbz2_1-1.0.2-2.tar.bz2 0
libgdbm libgdbm-1.8.0-5.tar.bz2 0
libgdbm-devel libgdbm-devel-1.8.0-5.tar.bz2 0
libiconv2 libiconv2-1.8-2.tar.bz2 0
libintl libintl-0.10.38-3.tar.bz2 0
libintl1 libintl1-0.10.40-1.tar.bz2 0
libintl2 libintl2-0.11.5-1.tar.bz2 0
libncurses5 libncurses5-5.2-1.tar.bz2 0
libncurses6 libncurses6-5.2-8.tar.bz2 0
libncurses7 libncurses7-5.3-1.tar.bz2 0
libpng10 libpng10-1.0.15-1.tar.bz2 0
libpopt0 libpopt0-1.6.4-4.tar.bz2 0
libPropList libPropList-0.10.1-3.tar.bz2 0
libreadline4 libreadline4-4.1-2.tar.bz2 0
libreadline5 libreadline5-4.3-2.tar.bz2 0
login login-1.7-1.tar.bz2 0
m4 m4-1.4-1.tar.bz2 0
man man-1.5j-2.tar.bz2 0
ncurses ncurses-5.3-1.tar.bz2 0
openssh openssh-3.5p1-3.tar.bz2 0
openssl openssl-0.9.7a-3.tar.bz2 0
openssl096 openssl096-0.9.6i-3.tar.bz2 0
patch patch-2.5.8-3.tar.bz2 0
pcre pcre-3.7-1.tar.bz2 0
readline readline-4.3-2.tar.bz2 0
rsync rsync-2.5.5-2.tar.bz2 0
sed sed-4.0.5-1.tar.bz2 0
sh-utils sh-utils-2.0.15-3.tar.bz2 0
tar tar-1.13.25-1.tar.bz2 0
tcltk tcltk-20030128-3.tar.bz2 0
termcap termcap-20020930-1.tar.bz2 0
terminfo terminfo-5.3-1.tar.bz2 0
texinfo texinfo-4.2-4.tar.bz2 0
textutils textutils-2.0.21-1.tar.bz2 0
tiff tiff-3.6.0-1.tar.bz2 0
vim vim-6.1.300-1.tar.bz2 0
w32api w32api-2.2-1.tar.bz2 0
which which-1.5-1.tar.bz2 0
zlib zlib-1.1.4-1.tar.bz2 0
_update-info-dir _update-info-dir-00158-1.tar.bz2 0