Re: Cannot find C:\cygwin\cygwin.bat

--- Larry Hall
<lh-no-personal-replies-please@cygwin.com> wrote:

> At 09:04 AM 9/25/2004, you wrote:
> >I had/have cygwin working for a while now.
> Yesterday I
> >did something stupid, and now double-clicking the
> >cygwin link on my windows xp desktop gives me the
> >message: "Cannot find C:\cygwin\cygwin.bat".
> >
> >I was trying to get add an option for startxwin, so
> >right-clicked the link I had for startxwin. Then
> next
> >to a icon of a bat file, there was a line with
> >"startxwin". I changed that to "startxwin
> >-emulate3buttons". Obviously it did not work, so I
> >changed it back. But now I can't double-click the
> link
> >anymore. gives me that dreaded message..
> >
> >I've been searching for a solution, and the closest
> >got was this August/04 thread which mentions
> possible
> >permissions messed up.
> >
> >----------------------------------quote:
> >> At 12:31 PM 8/12/2004, you wrote:
> >...cut

> >components".
> >
> >> I'd recommend starting here:

> >http://cygwin.com/problems.html
> >>

> >> It would also be helpful, specifically, to know
> what
> >you did that
> >> generates that message.
> >
> >  I'll bet the answer will be "Double-clicked the
> >cygwin icon"!
> >
> >  If the batch file is there, but it can't run, the
> >permissions on it are
> >probably messed up.
> >----------------------------end of quote.
> >

> >How do I check these permissions? What should they
> be?
> >

> Let's turn the question around.  Does cygwin.bat
> still exist?  What are
> the permissions?  Can you run it from a DOS prompt?
> What errors does it
> report?  What's the output of 'cygcheck -s -r -v'
> (read the link below)?
>
> >Problem reports:
> http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>
> What does 'cygcheck -c' report?
>
> Given what you've reported so far, there is a large
> disconnect between the
> steps you associate with the cause of the problem
> and the corresponding
> disabling of cygwin.bat.  So there are clearly
> details here that are
> missing.  If getting the answers for the above
> questions doesn't point you
> to the solution, please provide the details with
> your next inquiry to the
> list.
>

> --
> Larry Hall
> http://www.rfk.com
> RFK Partners, Inc.                      (508)
> 893-9779 - RFK Office
> 838 Washington Street                   (508)
> 893-9889 - FAX
> Holliston, MA 01746
>

> --
> Problem reports:
> http://cygwin.com/problems.html

Thank you for your  reply.

I thought I had it written clearly enough. I double
click the file, so it does exist. As far as
permissions, that was actually the larger part of the
question I had - if you read the last sentence of my
query.

Anyway, for the record, it  turns out the windows
registry had "obsolete" entries for cygwin. Removing
those cleared the problem.

Carlos