Re: Cannot find C:\cygwin\cygwin.bat

At 09:04 AM 9/25/2004, you wrote:
>I had/have cygwin working for a while now. Yesterday I
>did something stupid, and now double-clicking the
>cygwin link on my windows xp desktop gives me the
>message: "Cannot find C:\cygwin\cygwin.bat".
>
>I was trying to get add an option for startxwin, so I
>right-clicked the link I had for startxwin. Then next
>to a icon of a bat file, there was a line with
>"startxwin". I changed that to "startxwin
>-emulate3buttons". Obviously it did not work, so I
>changed it back. But now I can't double-click the link
>anymore. gives me that dreaded message..
>
>I've been searching for a solution, and the closest I
>got was this August/04 thread which mentions possible
>permissions messed up.
>
>----------------------------------quote:
>> At 12:31 PM 8/12/2004, you wrote:
>...cut
>> >
>> >"Cannot find C:\cygwin\cygwin.bat or one of its
>components".
>
>> I'd recommend starting here:
>>
>> >Problem reports:
>http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>>

>> It would also be helpful, specifically, to know what
>you did that
>> generates that message.
>
>  I'll bet the answer will be "Double-clicked the
>cygwin icon"!
>
>  If the batch file is there, but it can't run, the
>permissions on it are
>probably messed up.
>----------------------------end of quote.
>

>How do I check these permissions? What should they be?

Let's turn the question around.  Does cygwin.bat still exist?  What are
the permissions?  Can you run it from a DOS prompt?  What errors does it
report?  What's the output of 'cygcheck -s -r -v' (read the link below)?

What does 'cygcheck -c' report?

Given what you've reported so far, there is a large disconnect between the
steps you associate with the cause of the problem and the corresponding
disabling of cygwin.bat.  So there are clearly details here that are
missing.  If getting the answers for the above questions doesn't point you
to the solution, please provide the details with your next inquiry to the
list.

Holliston, MA 01746