subversion 1.0.6 in windows 98

Hi,

I've installed the cygwin subversion 1.0.6 package on my windows 98 machine
(with cygwin 1.5.11).
Following the example in the manual, I can create a repository and import
files into it, but when I check it out, I get the following:

[rob@work ~/tmp/svntest]$ svn co file:///mnt/c/rob/tmp/svntest/repos/emacs
emacs
svn: Unable to open an ra_local session to URL
svn: Unable to open repository 'file:///mnt/c/rob/tmp/svntest/repos/emacs'
svn: Error opening db lockfile
svn: Can't get shared lock on file
'/mnt/c/rob/tmp/svntest/repos/emacs/locks/db.lock': Resource temporarily
unavailable
[rob@work ~/tmp/svntest]$

The same happens with some (but not all) of the other svn commands.  I get no
errors with the same commands on Linux.

strace gives no useful output as it seems to crash (but I've attached it
anyway)

Is this a cygwin bug?

Thanks

Rob Walker