Re: special install

On Sep 23, 2004, at 11:36 AM, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Peter Rehley wrote (heavily [snip]ped):

3) passwd file. If the same users exist on each machine, then this isn't an
issue.

This is *wrong* (and is the main reason I'm sending this mesage,
actually). WinNT/2k/XP machines have a notion of "SID" that they give to
each user. That SID is different on different machines, even if the user
name is the same. User SIDs are stored in /etc/passwd, so an /etc/passwd
from one machine will be useless on another.

D'oh. I knew this.

However domain users would need to be added.  This could be done
before zipping cygwin directory.

Again, wrong. Domain user SIDs are actually the same across the domain,
so the domain users in /etc/passwd will be ok.

Actually, I still think this would be ok for domain users. My point being that you need to add domain users at some point since the default setup doesn't create domain users. However, the suggestions you and other have given regarding the creation of the passwd file is the right way to go.

Enjoy,
Peter