Re: special install

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 01:26:50PM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, J. David Boyd wrote:
>
>> "Calman, Jack" <Jack.Calman@XXXXXX.XXX> writes:
>
><http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>, now with more reasons.
>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> >  Our group is interested in installing cygwin on a group of classified
>> > computers that are not connected to the internet. Would you please tell me
>> > how to download what I need from the internet. Then I'll put it on a CD,
>> > carry it into the classified room, and then install on the computers there.
>> >
>> >  Thanks,
>> >  - Jack Calman
>>
>> After you have a working installation on any computer, you can zip and
>> copy the C:\CYGWIN directory.  It is totally self contained, and
>> should work fine anywhere.
>
>Barring insignificant things like OS incompatibilities (e.g., the /etc/*
>symlinks), the contents of /etc/passwd and /etc/group, and ownership modes
>and permissions (just to give a few examples).  IMO, it's always better to
>do a clean install on each machine.

something like this should still work, though (untested):

1)
On the reference system:

  mount -m > mounts.bat
  cd /
  tar -cjf /cygdrive/c/cygwin.tar.bz2 --exclude=/etc/passwd --exclude=/etc/group

2)
"Somehow" copy the following files to a temp directory on the new system, e.g.,
c:\tmp:

cygwin1.dll
mount.exe
mkpasswd.exe
mkgroup.exe
tar.exe
bzip2.exe
mounts.bat
cygwin.tar.bz2

3)
In c:\tmp

  .\mounts.bat
  mkpasswd -l # or -d, or whatever options are appropriate
  mkgroup -l  # or -d, or whatever options are appropriate
  c:
  cd \cygwin # or whereever cygwin's root is
  tar --use-compress-program=/cygdrive/c/tmp/bzip2.exe -xf /cygdrive/c/tmp/cygwin.tar.bz2

There are probably some details that I forgot and some other minor
cleanups to worry about but I don't see why the above shouldn't
work, at least in principle.

cgf