RE: [OT] PCYMTNQREAIYR, it really works.

  Well, you've only got five chars of entropy in that one..... wouldn't take
long to fall to a dictionary attack!

> <idle speculation>
> Hmm.  I wonder if I just replaced all of the '@'s with a png
> of an '@',
> if that would foil the spammers.
> <pause>
> Nope.  Wouldn't work for the text archives.
> </idle speculation>

  How about a big ascii-art one then?  THaT WuLd BE SOOooOO B1FF!!1! AND
K00L!!1!2!

> I *really* have to dust off the filter that I was working on which
> removed the host part of "unimportant" email addresses before they got
> to the archives.

s/@.*\.\(com|co|net|org|mil|gov\)\(\...\)\+/@_SOMEWHERE_\1\2/g

or with cmd-line escapes,

sed -e "s/@.*\.\(com\|co\|net\|org\|mil\|gov\)\(\...\)\?/@_SOMEWHERE_\1\2/g"

...or something vaguely like that?  Replace the (\...\) with a list of all
the two letter country codes, replace the .* with something that at least
denies whitespace, and you're nearly there.  Oh, and I suppose you could
fiddle it slightly so that the TLD is optional if the two letter country
code is found.  Or you could just add 'cgf' to the list of TLDs.....

    cheers,
      DaveK