Re: New packge: lighttpd-1.3.0

Gerrit P. Haase schrieb:
if you ask me, the PHP build system is broken.

I said before, that the php build system is horrible. Something to hate. But it has gotten much better.
broken shared lib targets are really matter of libtool.

I tried to build 5.0.1, I'm getting no lipphp, no shared modules,

libphp.a builds fine. Then the problem begins. But I still believe that the problem is in my lack of understanding the dirty details of dlltool and friends.

libdb is not found...

same as with apache :)

If you specify an extension and the relevant
dependency is not available the configure exits, it is terrible, this
sucks really.

agreed. there should be an apache-like --enable-most option, which tries to find the installed libraries.

adding them expliticly gives you at least the configure line
output in <?phpinfo?>.

How do I need to configure to get a shared library? Shared modules?

shared modules are built automatically.

Why isn't there a howto about this in the source dist included?  Who
is responsible for this broken system?

I never cared to read their devel mailinglist. I only cared to use it, and struggle with configure from time to time.
I didn't trust their abilities too much, in comparison to most other languages developers (lisp, perl, ...). But I like the product!

If I call `make libphp5.la` I get a static archive, no DLL, it is
weird...
I hate this package since I tried to build it the first time.

:)

Am Mittwoch, 22. September 2004 um 17:38 schriebst du:
Should we build statically?
no. that's about 17MB for each php.exe or dll :)
My executable is 8 MB stripped.

you want pdflib and pspell also?
see my list. pdflib is non-free I think.

I don't know, pdflib-lite is available as source, isn't the license
OSI approved?  I don't have aspell installed, but if it is available
as shared module, why not?

I'd need xdebug also, maybe apd.
best would be to add all the modules which are supported and in the nightly snaps.

That would be OK if all the extensions are built as modules, but building
everything into one php executable would make it pretty big, wouldn't it?

the extensions are just shared interfaces to the existing dll.
only mysql and some esoteric ones, which are not in the usual setup are
static.

Why don't I get a shared libphp?  How to configure it to get it with
shared modules?
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/