RE: ./configure in any package fails to create Makefile

WAS: <RE: ./configure in any package gives "error: cannot find input
file: WINDOWSoracle.ini" error>

Tried that :( this is getting demoralising.

Here are the env variables i set:

$history |egrep '(=|export)'
  394  export CONFIG_DIRS=
  395  export CONFIG_FILES=
  428
PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/opt/gnome/bin:/opt/kde2/bin
  429
MANPATH=/usr/man:/usr/local/man:/usr/X11R6/man:/opt/gnome/man:/opt/kde2/share/man
  430  INFOPATH='/usr/info;/usr/local/info;/opt/gnome/info'
  431  KDEDIR=/opt/kde2
  432  export PATH MANPATH INFOPATH KDEDIR
  437  export HOME=/home/maufflic

./configure completes fine, but creates no Makefile. It creates all the
header files (config.h etc.) though.

This happens the same with or without cygwin patches applied to the
source.

In a fit of giving up I installed Window Maker - only to find i needeed
to recompile libtiff with LZW.

Interestingly, libtiff uses a non-standard configure, and this configures
and makes fine.

So it is purely a problem with GNU configure...