problem with cygwin box (termcap?)

I launch a cygwin "box" (command window) on my Windows 2000 machine.
I run ssh to connect to a shell account running a variant of BSD Unix.

Whenever I use the program "less" on that shell account, it complains
	"WARNING: terminal is not fully functional."
Another user has stated that tin (the news reader) complains
	"tin: Terminal must have clear to end-of-screen (cd)
I suspect that these issues are related.  Can the termcap entry for
cygwin be improved?  Or is this truly a limitation of the cygwin box?

Thanks for any ideas.
--
David Arnstein
arnstein@pobox.com