trying to reply to specific message

>> Is there a way to get related messages posted properly
Thanks.  I tried the second method and it didn't work.  I requested a
message and it was sent to me as an attachment.  The address
automatically inserted was for the original sender not the mailing list
so I changed that to the mailing list, but, of course, my reply did not
get posted as a follow on to the message.  I also checked the earlier
discussion you referenced which seemed to indicate that I should
subscribe to cygwin-allow.  I tried that and received the following:

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at sourceware.org.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following
addresses.

<cygwin-allow@cygwin.com>:
ezmlm-manage: fatal: I don't accept messages at this address (inlocal
and/or inhost don't match) (#5.1.1)

--- Enclosed are the original headers of the message.

I guess this is why most of the postings aren't properly linked.

If I'm doing something wrong or there is anything else I should try I'd
be glad to hear of it.

>> as followons in  the mailing list archives without subscribing to the
>> mailing list?

>Yes.  Two ways, in fact.  One works with programs that understand the
>"mbox" format for e-mail (e.g., pine); the other is more generic, but
>requires some effort.

<snip>

>For the "mbox" method, Google for "web archives raw text
>site:cygwin.com" -- I posted a couple of recipes before (I've since
>improved on the automation of the method, if anyone's interested).  The
>second method is described in a help message you get from ezmlm (mail
><cygwin-help<at>cygwin<dot>com>) -- namely, you can get a copy of any
list
>message by e-mailing to <cygwin-get.MSGNUM<at>cygwin<dot>com>.  The
trick
>is finding out the message number -- the "Raw text" link is helpful
here
>as well; just look at the "From " line (first line of the raw text),
and
>the MSGNUM will be the digits between "cygwin-return-" and
"-listarch-".