Re: Problem regarding CYGWIN (FAQ alert)

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Mahboob Ali wrote:

> Hi,
>    My name is Ali, I am the student of TU Dresden, Germany. I am having a
> problem while using CYGWIN. I am trying to install Möbius software on
> my maching and for this software i need CYGWIN as backend, which i
> installed successfully. Now the problem lies when i try to install
> Möbius on my machine it needs the path where i install CYGWIN, but when
> i gave this path it gives me the following error, " File
> C:\CYGWIN\BIN\make.exe does not exist", i have checked the directory on
> CYGWIN\BIN and there is no file named "make.exe". Can you please guid
> me what should i do now, where can i find this file? I really need to
> install this software for my Project.

Install the "make" package from the "Devel" category (you may also need
others, see <http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_2.html#SEC13>.

@David: This is a pretty frequently asked question, but I couldn't find
the exact FAQ entry for it.  Perhaps we could add a 'Where is "make"
("gcc", "vi", etc)' heading to the above FAQ entry?  It'll need to be
augmented to also describe how to search for files, something like "If you
need to know which package contains a particular file, search for that
file's name on <http://cygwin.com/packages/>.  For executables, especially
with short names, it helps to prepend 'bin/' to the filename."
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw