Re: Running cmd programs in cygwin / rxvt

Bobby McNulty wrote:

What? Did I miss something?

Apparently lots!

Chris, this guy has no clue as to what he's talking about.

I beg to differ. I don't know much about ptys - BFD - sue me. That does not mean, however, that I don't know anything.

He's worse than me when I first started.

Then you must have been pretty good.

He does not know how GPL works,

I know some about it. However GPL was not mentioned here so it's odd that you mention it.

he has no clue as to what Cygwin is or how it got started.

Ah yes I do.

He's a musician pretending to be a programmer.

Actually I've earned a lot more from programming than music. In this respect you sir do not know what you are talking about.

But he's not a programmer.

I do more administration but I've also done a fair share of programming.

He does not know what POSIX is, or why its important for Cygwin, Unix, and Linux.

No I know about POSIX, Cygwin, Unix and Linux. Cygwin, however, sometimes departs from standard and strict POSIX in order to inter operate with Windows. For example, there is no cygrunsrv in POSIX nor is there a mkpasswd AFAIK.

He wants to fix programs that are already stable, such as cmd.

Really? Where did I say that? I don't want to fix "cmd". I don't even want to use cmd! What are *you* talking about? I just want some 3rd party programs that I use such as cleartool to be able to work under the bash shell without getting confused by ptys. Now I know that cleartool could be re-written to do things in a more Unix like way - however they're not gonna do that. So I'm looking for a workaround and asking about ptys, something I had not had to deal with at a programming level.

If he wants to program a Windows program, he needs to buy Visual Studio.

No thanks. I don't want a Windows program and never said that I did so again I ask you - what are *you* talking about?!?

I am learning more and more about Cygwin as I work with it. I learn from my mistakes. Does he? He needs an attitude adjustment.

You should talk about attitude adjustments! All I'm asking for is a work around for a problem when dealing with certain Windows apps under Cygwin. Is this somehow a crime? Lay off the coffee will ya!

--
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.