Re: Crontab issue

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, Mogyorósi István wrote:

Hello,

I spent quite a lot of time reading the subject and I still dont have
clear sight on the problem. It is probably a permission/access sync
issue between Cygwin and NT. But my case is NOT a network drive.

Case 1,
crontab -e [ logged in as Administrator ]
20 12 * * * /home/Administrator/mydate.sh [ my own script to exec ]
-----
it works with the result written in my home directory.
mydate.sh is `date >mydate.txt`

It's a good idea to specify the absolute paths for any commands or output files.

Case 2,
crontab -e [ logged in as Administrator ]
25 12 * * * /cygdrive/e/otherpath/mydate.sh [ my second script to exec ]
-------------
this does not work.
My Error message in Eventlog is:
bla .. bla .. /usr/sbin/cron : PID 2356 : (Administrator) CMD
(/cygdrive/e/otherpath/mydate.sh 2>&1)

Hmm, looks like it *is* getting executed, but the output is lost? See the previous comment.

The access permissions for both shell scripts are identical.
The only difference is the path to execute.

Can you execute the latter script from the command line as Administrator? If not, are the access permissions on both *paths* sufficient? For a script to be executable, all the components in the path to it have to be reachable (i.e., the directories have to have at least the execute permission).

If I install the service as Administrator, and try to start it
with the Service Control Manager it fails to start and
I get the error message in the Event Log:
... bla bla .. Cygwin_cron : PID 2260 : starting service
'Cygwin_cron' failed : execv: 1 , Operation not permitted.

This is a different symptom -- most likely the necessary DLLs in your /bin are not executable by non-owners (i.e., SYSTEM, which is the user cron will run under when installed as service). A "chmod -R a+X /bin" should help (you might also need to fix permissions for other files/directories under /var, and maybe /lib, /share, and /etc). Igor -- http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/ |\ _,,,---,,_ pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu ZZZzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ igor@watson.ibm.com |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-' Igor Pechtchanski, Ph.D. '---''(_/--' `-'\_) fL a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-. Meow!

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw