Re: Login behaviour oddities: won't run .profile

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Sep 20 10:08, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> > On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >
> > > On Sep 20 18:10, luke<dot>[...] wrote:
> >                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > Hmmm?
>
> Urgh, sorry about that.  That's what mutt creates when no real name is
> given.  Does anybody know how to suppress this?  I didn't find this in
> the mutt documentation so far.

Well, I know how to do it in Pine... 0:)

> > > Sorry but this is bogus.  There's no difference whether a directory is
> > > created using Cygwin or Windows.
> >
> > Umm, sure there is.  Windows Explorer will inherit the permissions of the
> > parent directory by default, whereas Cygwin will always create a new set
> > of ACLs (or, at least, I haven't found a way to make Cygwin directories
> > inherit the parent's ACLs).  I don't know how that can make a difference,
> > but there it is.
>
> I wasn't in pedantic mode when writing that.  Let's assume that when Luke
> played with the permissions, he's already changed this to some sufficient
> value, like, say, the owner may read files in the own directory...

Right, I obviously forgot to put the <pedantic>..</pedantic> tags in my
reply.  I agree that it shouldn't make any perceptible difference.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw