Re: Running cmd programs in cygwin / rxvt

On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 08:24:44AM -0700, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 07:15:46AM -0700, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>>>Is there a CYGWIN setting to tell rxvt not to use ptys?
>>
>>How could a program like rxvt possibly work without ptys?
>
>I have no idea.  I don't know how nor why they are required.  Perhaps
>you could enlighten us?  'Cause from the outside rxvt looks just like
>the standard windows window (albeit with more functionality) and that
>window doesn't seem to require ptys...

rxvt is a port of a UNIX program.  UNIX uses ptys.  Windows doesn't
support the notion of ptys.

http://www.google.com/search?q=define:pty

If you want to run a standard windows window (i.e., a console window)
then that's what you get when you click on the cygwin icon.  The terminal
input and output is largely controlled by windows and cygwin has little
say over how characters are handled.  If it was as easy as just using
this, don't you think we'd have been doing this by now?

cgf