Re: Running cmd programs in cygwin / rxvt

Brian Dessent wrote:

Andrew DeFaria wrote:

What you're seeing is caused by the output of the program going through a tty (or pty as the case may be.) When you run it from a straight cmd.exe it's not using tty code (unless you have CYGWIN=tty set.) From my meagre knowledge of the subject it has to do with the program not explicitly flushing stdout (or not knowing that it needs to as this is usually not required under windows.)

Is there a CYGWIN setting to tell rxvt not to use ptys?

I don't think that would do any good. rxvt is a posix program and expects an environment where it has ptys that it can use. Without pty support it would likely complain loudly and refuse to run.

Again, I'm pontificating on something I know little about here, but I'm guessing one solution might be some kind of kludge in the cygwin layer that would attempt to detect when a native app is doing buffered writes to a pty and autoflush after each call. But, just a WAG. It might even be out of cygwin's control, if the buffering is done in the CRT of the app.

Cygwin does do some of it's own coding that is conditionally compiled right? Why not conditionally compile stuff to get ptys (or some other equivalent) to function with native Windows apps that are currently having problems with the concept of ptys?

I know I often point people to use rxvt because it's a lot better than that silly Windows window. However I often work with Clearcase and Clearcase's main command, cleartool, messes up WRT rxvt and ptys (as well as other tools), so I'm constantly explaining the problem. I'd just like a real solution to offer and to use.

I don't understand the internals of ptys vs. ttys and native console I/O nor why it's having the problem. I just deal with the result and would like it fixed if possible. Sounds like it may be a complex fix though. As I said I'm not sure why ptys are necessarily needed in the first place but admittedly I have not researched it.
--
Few women admit their age. Few men act theirs.