Re: Login behaviour oddities: won't run .profile

> One solution is to remove /etc/skel/.bash_profile after the installs
> (maybe even in your own site-specific postinstall script).  I don't know
> if the base-files postinstall script will re-create that file, though --
> if it does, it needs to be fixed.

The base-files postinstall script will attempt to recreate its files
if they don't exist, it can't differentiate between deleted and clean install
(do any?).

If you want to use a ~/.profile instead change /etc/skel/.bash_profile to
be something along the lines of

source ~/.profile

Base-files *will not* (now) overwrite a user modified file.

Would this be sufficient?  I don't know how to improve this... make a note
during preremove of any of the manifest files missing and don't create
them upon installation?  Possible I suppose...

J.