emacs problem results from bad $HOME value

Solved the problem with emacs flaking out.  The default values for $HOME
and $home set up in the default .login file were wrong.  Commented out
the lines that set them and hardcoded the correct location.  Pretty
irritating that this emacs (21.2-13) can't deal with this though. I've
never had this problem with any emacs I've used before.  Should be able
to say ^x^w and correct the pathname rather than being unable to
continue working and unable to do anything to save one's work.  Is one
of the other options more robust?