Problem with ncurses-5.3-20030719-patch.sh

Dear All,

I came across a problem when installing ncurses-5.3
source using the setup utility. The problem is in the
ncurses-5.3-20030719-patch.sh script which is called
by the primary install script ncurses-5.3-4.sh. The
patch script begins by unconditionally deleting some
extracted files e.g. lib_insstr.c extracted and then
calls the command "patch" expected in /bin. On my
system at the time of installation I did not have the
patch utility installed - in setup this is a seperate
download, so the script ran something like this:

Patching....
patch: not found
patch: not found
patch: not found
.
.
.
...unable to make target lib_insstr.c required by
lib_insstr.o....

Basically because the file was deleted and /bin/patch
not available to apply the corrections to the make
files, control is passed back to the parent shell
script then the subsequent make process falls over
with a fatal error. (Interestingly the patch script
seems to exit with status 0 or the install script
would fail?).

Naturally I was able to correct the problem by
installing the patch utility and reinstalling, but in
the supplied INSTALL document, it was not listed as a
prerequisite.

I see two ways of fixing this issue:

1. Modify ncurses-5.3-20030719-patch.sh to check for
existence of patch utility, if not then exit with
non-zero exit status and appropriate error message.
2. Include patch utility with the package (maybe
modify setup utility?)

(I suppose there would be a third option just to
modify the INSTALL document to list patch as a
prerequisite).

Thanks and regards,

Adrian Ford