Re: Bash returns incorrect process status

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 02:47:57PM +0100, Dolton Tony AB wrote:
> (Sorry if this doesn't appear in the right place - I'm still unable to
> subscribe to the list and had to bodge a reply.)
>
> I would just like to say that the patch specified in
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-09/msg00783.html fixes the problem that I
> reported in http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-09/msg00401.html. Obviously, it
> wasn't simply the exiting of the background processes that was the problem,
> it was the reuse of pids as well.

Do you see the patch kicking in, the "Found old pid..." message on stderr?

> Given the caveats attached to the patch, I'm hoping that a "proper" version
> will eventually be issued in a new release of bash. Will this be the case?
> I've noticed that bash doesn't get issued too often.

There is more to the story, see

Also it's not surprising that the current snapshot doesn't fully fix
the problem http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-09/msg00813.html ,
increasing the pid reuse period only reduces the likelihood that
the problem shows up.

Pierre