Re: Problem in Cygwin-X...

On 17 Sep, Moises Deangelo wrote:
>  Please
>
>  I installed cygwin in my windows 2000 with service pack 4.
>
>  I download the complete version of cygwin.
>
>  But the graphic interface does not work by any means
>  Cygwin-X does not run.
>
>  Any applications do not accuse no mistake, simply do not initiate.
>  Other introduce the following mistake:
>
>  RUN.EXE
>  ERROR: could not start C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\xdvi -display 127.0.0.1:0.0
>
>  Can anybody help to do the graphic interface to work?
>
>  Moises Deangelo.

For us, for many months now, X11 hasn't worked after any fresh Cygwin
install, due to the "missing font "fixed" problem) - see
http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-error-font-eof

In fact, our install process now runs setup, runs various commands as
per the faq entry above, then re-runs setup and requires the user to
re-install the X fonts.  After that X will work.

On top of that, there were changes to -multiwindow and other parameters.
We now default to starting X in a way that boils down to this:

xinit -- -rootless -clipboard -logfile /tmp/XWin.log.$USER

The .$USER is important if multiple people may use the machine - the
default choice of /tmp/XWin.log will make X fail to start because a
later user won't have write permissions on /tmp/XWin.log.

Anyway, try the above, and check out the contents of the log file to
help work out what's going wrong.

luke