Re: FW: newly installed cygwin does not work, seems to be screwing up windows as well.

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 03:22:43PM -0500, Koskie, Sarah wrote:
>I have tried checking the mail archives and found a claim that the
>installation process leaves a tarball of the old version.

That's sort of hard to believe.  This has never been the case or at
least has not been the case for four years.

>I don't see any files that look likely, but can't untar anything anyway
>because apparently gzip is no longer used.  Files are now labeled .bz2
>and I don't know what to use to unzip them.  There's no manual entry for
>bzip.

The name of the program is "bzip2": http://www.google.com/search?q=bz2

I don't know why you'd need a manual entry.  Any .bz2 files on your disk
should have been theoretically installed already.

>Alternatively, if there is a known stale mirror that I could use, that
>would be fine, but I don't know how about figuring out which of the 20
>or so mirror sites would have a year-old version.

Any sites listed in the mirror list are supposed to be up-to-date.

However, you may be able to find old mirrors with google.  I'd think that
you would rather just get the newest cygwin working so that you could
continue to be up-to-date in case you need a bug fix.

>No need to tell me how stupid I was to install without backing cygwin
>first.  At this point, I have pretty much identified all the various
>stupid steps I took.  Just want to know whether can be undone and if so
>how.

Why don't you start by telling us exactly what you did and exactly what
isn't working.  Did you (hopefully) choose all of the defaults in
setup.exe up until you selected packages?

This may be of some help:  http://cygwin.com/problems.html .

As a WAG, it sounds like you may have just used the "download" option
in setup.exe rather than the "install" option but it's difficult to
know without any details.