FW: newly installed cygwin does not work, seems to be screwing up windows as well.

-----Original Message-----
From: Koskie, Sarah
Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 3:20 PM
To: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'
Subject: newly installed cygwin does not work, seems to be screwing up
windows as well.

Please help if possible.  I reinstalled cygwin yesterday.  (First
default, then added packages that sounded useful as directed.)  Big
mistake. I had been running a version I installed about a year ago and
hoped to take advantage of improvements since then.  Now many things
don't work and the things that do work don't work as well.

I have tried checking the mail archives and found a claim that the
installation process leaves a tarball of the old version.  If this is
so, please tell me a) where and b) how to undo my reinstallation.  After
this experience, I'd be happy -- no make that ecstatic and grateful --
to forget it and go back to what I was using.

I don't see any files that look likely, but can't untar anything anyway
because apparently gzip is no longer used.  Files are now labeled .bz2
and I don't know what to use to unzip them.  There's no manual entry for
bzip.

Alternatively, if there is a known stale mirror that I could use, that
would be fine, but I don't know how about figuring out which of the 20
or so mirror sites would have a year-old version.

No need to tell me how stupid I was to install without backing cygwin
first.  At this point, I have pretty much identified all the various
stupid steps I took.  Just want to know whether can be undone and if so
how.

Thanks!!!